Public hearing set for December 13, 2018
KALAMA, WASH. (PRWEB) NOVEMBER 13, 2018
The Port of Kalama (Port) and Cowlitz County (County) released the draft supplemental environmental impact statement (DSEIS) for Northwest Innovation Works, LLC—Kalama (NWIW)’s proposed natural gas to methanol production plant and storage facility.
The Port and County are “co-lead agencies” overseeing environmental review of the proposal under the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA).
The DSEIS includes a complete quantitative analysis of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions attributable to the proposed project on a life-cycle basis, including the following sources:
GHG emissions attributable to construction of the project;
- On-site direct GHG emissions from the project;
- GHG emissions from purchased power, including consideration of the potential sources of generation that would satisfy the new load;
- GHG emissions potentially attributable to the project from natural gas production, collection, processing and transmission;
- GHG emissions from shipping methanol product to a representative Asian port; and
- GHG emissions associated with changes in the methanol industry and related markets that may be induced by the proposed project’s methanol production.
The DSEIS is available for viewing and downloading at: https://kalamamfgfacilitysepa.com/.
Copies of the document are also available for review at the following locations:
- Port of Kalama Administrative Office: 110 W. Marine Drive, Kalama, WA
- Cowlitz County Department of Building & Planning: 207 4th Avenue North, Kelso, WA
- Kalama Public Library, 312 North First, Kalama, WA
- Longview Public Library, 1600 Louisiana Street, Longview, WA
- Kelso Public Library, 351 Three Rivers Drive, Kelso, WA
Copies of the DSEIS on CD may be requested from the Port. Printed copies of the DSEIS are available for a fee through the Port.
Public comments on the DSEIS will be accepted for 45 days beginning November 13, 2018 and continuing to 5 p.m. on December 28, 2018.
A public hearing will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on December 13, 2018 at the Cowlitz County Event Center, 1900 7th Avenue, Longview, Washington 98632
Comments on the DSEIS can also be submitted by several methods:
c/o SEPA Responsible Official
Port of Kalama
110 West Marine Drive
Kalama, Washington 98625
By email: seis(at)kalamamfgfacilitysepa.com
About the Proposed Project
NW Innovation Works, LLC – Kalama and the Port of Kalama are planning to construct the
Kalama Methanol Manufacturing and Export Facility which would consist of a methanol manufacturing facility and a new marine terminal on approximately 100 acres on the Columbia River at the Port’s North Port site (the project site).
In related actions, Northwest Pipeline LLC is proposing to construct and operate the Kalama Lateral Project (the proposed pipeline), a 3.1-mile natural gas pipeline to the proposed project, and Cowlitz County Public Utility District No. 1 is proposing to upgrade electrical service to provide power to the proposed project.
The proposed methanol manufacturing plant would convert natural gas to methanol, which would be stored on site and transported via marine vessel to global markets, primarily in Asia. The methanol is expected to be used for the production of olefins, which are the primary components in the production of consumer products, such as carpet, plastic goods, and cell phones.
The proposed marine terminal would accommodate the oceangoing vessels that would transport methanol to destination ports. It would also be designed to accommodate general use by the Port as a lay berth where vessels could moor while waiting to use other Port berths.